Pound cake is a hard cake not to love. It’s simple and made traditionally with four proportionate ingredients: flour, butter, eggs, and sugar. It’s hard to disappoint and easy to spin—try layering it with your favorite buttercream or jam filling. And made gluten-free using Schär’s Mix C Patisserie flour it’s as perfect (minus the bloating of course). Schär describes it as “a moist and buttery, melt-in-the-mouth sponge marvel” that pairs with your morning coffee or fruit and cream toppings. Plus, it only takes 25 minutes to prep!
You will need:
- 220 Schär Mix C Patisserie
- 150g sugar
- 125g butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 8g baking powder
- 125ml milk
- Allow the ingredients to come to room temperature and preheat the oven to the appropriate temperature as shown below.
- Beat the butter until creamy. Add half of the sugar and cream together for approx. 2 minutes until well mixed.
- Add the egg yolk, baking powder and milk and whisk them together.
- Beat together the egg white with the remaining sugar until peaks are formed and add to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and floured springform tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/gas mark 4 for approx. 50 minutes.
- Top with icing, jam or fresh fruit as desired.
Tip: To make a chocolate cake, add 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder to the dough.