Recipe courtesy of Ashley Beaver from LivinPaleo.
Have you ever tried baking with almond flour? It’s gluten-free, and rich in vitamin E and antioxidants which help reduce the risk of serious health conditions like cancer, diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. Plus, it’s the perfect texture for baking recipes. This ultimate orange cake recipe uses fresh orange juice, zest, and is finished with a rich orange glaze. We highly recommend for any occasion. It serves 12, takes only 15 minutes to prep and 30 to bake.
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup Potato Starch
- 3/4 cup Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Oranges about 2 oranges
- 6 Tbsp Melted Butter or ghee or coconut oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg Whites
For the icing:
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter or ghee or coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp Orange Juice
Icing option 2 (without powdered sugar)
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Butter or ghee or coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp Almond Milk
- 3 Tbsp Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, potato starch, coconut sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the oranges to a food processor and pull a few times to chop them, but don't completely puree them. You want 1 1/2 cups of thick orange chunks with some juice.
- In a separate bowl combine the oranges, melted butter, eggs and egg whites. Blend together with an electric mixer.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with your dry ingredients and blend.
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter or cooking spray. You can also line the cake pan with parchment paper by cutting a round circle for the bottom and a strip to wrap around the inside.
- Pour your mixture into the cake pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick can be inserted into the center and comes out clean.
- Once the cake is completely cooled remove from the pan and transfer to a plate or dish.
- Prepare the icing by whisking together the powdered sugar, melted butter and orange juice.
- If you're using icing option 2, add the honey, butter, almond milk and orange juice to a sauce pan over low heat and stir until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour the icing on top of the cake and let it set. Optional decorations: dried orange slices and sliced almonds.