We are so excited to share this unmatched sourdough recipe by Chef Larissa Alwer and sponsored by Kitchenaid Jo. It is the perfect foundation recipe for a loaf of bread and can be tweaked to your liking by adding dried fruits, seeds, nuts, and more. Sourdough is also preferred to conventional bread because it has lower phytate levels, making it more nutritious and easier to digest. In this recipe, Chef Larissa uses Juthour’s Pivetti Soft Wheat Flour, Type 00, a fine and high-quality ingredient that surely takes the loaf to the next level.
- 195 g 1:1 sourdough starter (prepared with dark rye flour)
- 315g water
- 480g strong bread flour, I used Pivetti Soft Wheat Flour Type 00
- 10g Wheat bran
- 12g fine sea salt.
- Mix the starter with the water until it dissolves.
- Add the flour and bran.
- Mix well.
- Cover with cling film and leave for half an hour at room temperature.
- Sprinkle the salt and mix it into the dough.
- Fold the dough and place in a slightly oiled bowl. Repeat 3 times leaving 30 min between each fold.
- Form a ball shape and put in proofing basket. Leave outside for one hour then place uncovered into the fridge and keep overnight.
- Heat oven, with fan, to its maximum, (250C) with a ceramic mould with cover, or a Dutch oven, for 30 min.
- Take out the dough from the fridge at the same time.
- When the oven is hot, take out the Dutch oven, turn the bread into paper parchment, score the bread dough, place into the Dutch oven, cover and put in hot oven for 30min.
- After 30min uncover, reduce heat to 230, and bake for about 20min uncovered.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.
By Chef Larissa Alwer