What better way to celebrate Valentine’s day than by whisking up a pink dessert to indulge in (even alone!). We loved these strawberry cake glazed donuts by Cotter Crunch and hope you will too. Cotter describes them as “healthy donuts” that are “kind friendly, gluten-free, and super easy to make.” Within just 35 minutes, you can sweeten up your February 14th. Find the full recipe complete with all the tips and tricks here.
- 1 ¾ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- We personally recommend Bob’s Red Mill’s Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 2/3 cup raw sugar or ½ cup sugar substitute for reduced sugar option
- We recommend Bob’s Red Mill’s Fine Crystal Cane Sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- We recommend Bob’s Red Mill’s Gluten Free Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup of sliced strawberries (extra for decorating, if desired)
- 1 extra-large egg
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- We recommend The Bridge’s Organic Gluten Free Oat Drink
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp melted unsalted butter or refined coconut oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar or sugar substitute
- We recommend Wholesome’s Organic Powder Sugar
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yoghurt or nondairy Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp nondairy milk or water
- 1 tbsp strawberry puree (i.e. one strawberry, blended) or 3 drops natural red dye
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease your donut pan and set aside
- In a large bowl, sift the flour. Add the sugar, baking powder, and salt to the sifted flour and whisk again until combined. Set aside.
- Cut the stems of your strawberries and add them to the blender along with your milk. Blend until a smoothie like mixture is formed.
- Once blended, turn the blender on low and slowly add in your egg, melted butter or oil, and vanilla. Gently blend until combined.
- Pour 1/3 of the blender batter into the sifted flour and sugar mixture. Stir gently. Repeat until you’ve used up the blender batter and mixture in the bowl is smooth and combined. It will look similar to muffin batter.
- Next, spoon the combined batter into greased donut pan. If you want the donuts to be a perfect shape, you will need to use a pastry bag or zip lock bag to fill instead. But I found that a spoon still works great!
- Place donut pan in oven on center rack for 15-17 minutes. Check at 15 to see if they are golden brown.
- While donuts are baking, mix the glaze.
- Once donuts are baked, remove from oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.